I’ve printed my share of things using my 3D printers and sometimes they work out and sometimes they don’t. The toughest ones are the ones that take a long time to print then go wrong in some way. A while back I was printing the T-Rex Skull from Thingiverse and the part separated from the build plate on hour 11 of a 13 hour print:
This T-Rex Skull printed on Prusa i3 MK2, design scaled up 200%, 0.2 mm layer height, 20% infill, clear PLA material. The print was going well until the snout. The firmware on the Prusa at the time was an older version, I could hear the extruder scrape across the model after each infill layer but I didn’t give it much thought until it separated from the build place. Luckily I was home and stopped the print soon after it went wrong. To resolve the issue, I updated the Prusa firmware and started the print again and issue was resolved:
3D print the accompanying T-Rex Jaw and here they are:
T-Rex jaw printed on Prusa i3 MK2, design scaled up 200%, 0.2 mm layer height, 20% infill, black PLA material. Build time ~13 hours. The material is quite reflective and it has a smooth feel to the touch. I might add that the lighting looks great in some of these pictures.